Gun owners today claim protection is their main reason for owning guns.
USA Today reported that 48 percent of gun owners said protection is their main reason for owning guns, while 32 percent claimed to own guns for hunting purposes.
While the majority of gun owners today cite protection as their primary reason for owning guns, 39 percent of non-gun owners say that their primary reason for not owning guns is also for protection, due to the accidents that guns can cause.
The survey showed a dramatic switch in opinion since the last 14 years. In 1999, 26 of owners guns for protection purposes, while 49 percent claimed to own guns mainly for hunting.
With the recent mass shooting in Connecticut, people are on edge about gun laws. Many respondents said that stricter gun laws would prevent shootings while fewer said that it wouldn’t make much of a difference.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments