Gun owners today claim protection is their main reason for owning guns.
USA Today reported that 48 percent of gun owners said protection is their main reason for owning guns, while 32 percent claimed to own guns for hunting purposes.
While the majority of gun owners today cite protection as their primary reason for owning guns, 39 percent of non-gun owners say that their primary reason for not owning guns is also for protection, due to the accidents that guns can cause.
The survey showed a dramatic switch in opinion since the last 14 years. In 1999, 26 of owners guns for protection purposes, while 49 percent claimed to own guns mainly for hunting.
With the recent mass shooting in Connecticut, people are on edge about gun laws. Many respondents said that stricter gun laws would prevent shootings while fewer said that it wouldn’t make much of a difference.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development