Gun owners today claim protection is their main reason for owning guns.
USA Today reported that 48 percent of gun owners said protection is their main reason for owning guns, while 32 percent claimed to own guns for hunting purposes.
While the majority of gun owners today cite protection as their primary reason for owning guns, 39 percent of non-gun owners say that their primary reason for not owning guns is also for protection, due to the accidents that guns can cause.
The survey showed a dramatic switch in opinion since the last 14 years. In 1999, 26 of owners guns for protection purposes, while 49 percent claimed to own guns mainly for hunting.
With the recent mass shooting in Connecticut, people are on edge about gun laws. Many respondents said that stricter gun laws would prevent shootings while fewer said that it wouldn’t make much of a difference.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America