PHOENIX — Winter isn’t even officially wrapped up and for the next several days temperatures will be at or above 90 degrees.
This mini heatwave is going to put Valley air conditioning units to test for the first time this year. Kevin Howard with Howard Air in Phoenix said his employees typically take about 10 to 15 daily calls at this time of year. That number could explode into more than 100 for the next several days.
“What we’re seeing in this down economy is simply a lack of maintenance,” he said. “People just don’t want to spend the money and that can lead to major repairs.”
Put another way, changing out that inexpensive filter regularly could spare you a huge bill down the road.
Howard said there’s only so much a typical homeowner can do to prepare the air conditioner beyond changing out the filter and making sure there’s no debris on the outside of the system. He said we’re not into the real heat yet, so the air conditioning might pump out enough cool air in the next few days, but when the temps soar beyond 100 is when it’s too late.
“If the system isn’t properly tuned it won’t perform and that will cost you a lot of money.”
Howard said your system should only be checked out by a certified, licensed professional. There are many other guys running around whose main objective is taking your money and not how well the unit is working.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development