PHOENIX — Winter isn’t even officially wrapped up and for the next several days temperatures will be at or above 90 degrees.
This mini heatwave is going to put Valley air conditioning units to test for the first time this year. Kevin Howard with Howard Air in Phoenix said his employees typically take about 10 to 15 daily calls at this time of year. That number could explode into more than 100 for the next several days.
“What we’re seeing in this down economy is simply a lack of maintenance,” he said. “People just don’t want to spend the money and that can lead to major repairs.”
Put another way, changing out that inexpensive filter regularly could spare you a huge bill down the road.
Howard said there’s only so much a typical homeowner can do to prepare the air conditioner beyond changing out the filter and making sure there’s no debris on the outside of the system. He said we’re not into the real heat yet, so the air conditioning might pump out enough cool air in the next few days, but when the temps soar beyond 100 is when it’s too late.
“If the system isn’t properly tuned it won’t perform and that will cost you a lot of money.”
Howard said your system should only be checked out by a certified, licensed professional. There are many other guys running around whose main objective is taking your money and not how well the unit is working.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night