PHOENIX — The Drowning Prevention Coalition of Arizona is targeting apartment complex pool safety by adding 500 new warning signs Valleywide.
The signs will be placed at apartment complex swimming pools to encourage everyone to do their part in keeping everyone safe.
“We have it in both English and Spanish, and the signs say ‘I’m water safe,'” said the coalition’s spokeswoman Lori Schmidt. “We remind folks to swim safe, always watch children, start CPR and dial 911.”
Schmidt said there is something very important to remember when someone is calling 911 around a pool.
“The really important thing to remember in calling 911 in an apartment community is giving first responders the exact location of the pool and where the victim is,” said Schmidt, adding that some apartment complexes have more than one swimming pool.
The Valley saw a lot of pool-related accidents last year.
“In Maricopa County, we had a total of 170 water-related incidents last year. We had 60 fatalities, and 20 of those were children,” said Schmidt.
The Coalition is joining with Salt River Project and the Arizona Multihousing Association to distribute the signs. They are available to apartment complexes through SRP’s website or by calling (602) 236-5646.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas