PHOENIX — The Drowning Prevention Coalition of Arizona is targeting apartment complex pool safety by adding 500 new warning signs Valleywide.
The signs will be placed at apartment complex swimming pools to encourage everyone to do their part in keeping everyone safe.
“We have it in both English and Spanish, and the signs say ‘I’m water safe,'” said the coalition’s spokeswoman Lori Schmidt. “We remind folks to swim safe, always watch children, start CPR and dial 911.”
Schmidt said there is something very important to remember when someone is calling 911 around a pool.
“The really important thing to remember in calling 911 in an apartment community is giving first responders the exact location of the pool and where the victim is,” said Schmidt, adding that some apartment complexes have more than one swimming pool.
The Valley saw a lot of pool-related accidents last year.
“In Maricopa County, we had a total of 170 water-related incidents last year. We had 60 fatalities, and 20 of those were children,” said Schmidt.
The Coalition is joining with Salt River Project and the Arizona Multihousing Association to distribute the signs. They are available to apartment complexes through SRP’s website or by calling (602) 236-5646.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night