PHOENIX — Military Assistance Mission, an organization dedicated to helping support military members and their families, has teamed up with Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Arizona.
It is not uncommon today for either parent to have been deployed for extended periods of time. In some cases, they have been sent over multiple times and while they are there, their children are left without support.
“That Big Brother or Big Sister could fill a void that has been left when dad is overseas or mom is overseas. The child just needs someone in their life to share what they are going through,” said Margy Bons with MAM.
Currently, the organization is looking for civilian mentors or military members who would be available to spend time with a child.
“They find a common interest and build on that. It could be playing baseball, watching a game, they can go fishing or arts and crafts,” said Bons.
According to BBBS, kids who have a mentor are less likely to skip school, use drugs or drink.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food