PHOENIX — Military Assistance Mission, an organization dedicated to helping support military members and their families, has teamed up with Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Arizona.
It is not uncommon today for either parent to have been deployed for extended periods of time. In some cases, they have been sent over multiple times and while they are there, their children are left without support.
“That Big Brother or Big Sister could fill a void that has been left when dad is overseas or mom is overseas. The child just needs someone in their life to share what they are going through,” said Margy Bons with MAM.
Currently, the organization is looking for civilian mentors or military members who would be available to spend time with a child.
“They find a common interest and build on that. It could be playing baseball, watching a game, they can go fishing or arts and crafts,” said Bons.
According to BBBS, kids who have a mentor are less likely to skip school, use drugs or drink.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier