PHOENIX — Military Assistance Mission, an organization dedicated to helping support military members and their families, has teamed up with Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Arizona.
It is not uncommon today for either parent to have been deployed for extended periods of time. In some cases, they have been sent over multiple times and while they are there, their children are left without support.
“That Big Brother or Big Sister could fill a void that has been left when dad is overseas or mom is overseas. The child just needs someone in their life to share what they are going through,” said Margy Bons with MAM.
Currently, the organization is looking for civilian mentors or military members who would be available to spend time with a child.
“They find a common interest and build on that. It could be playing baseball, watching a game, they can go fishing or arts and crafts,” said Bons.
According to BBBS, kids who have a mentor are less likely to skip school, use drugs or drink.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night