PHOENIX — A lot of teenagers love to drink soft drinks but thousands of Valley teens are pledging that they’re going to give almost every drink in order to help others.
Ever since a 7.0 earthquare rocked Haiti in 2010, the water there has been horrible.
“They have no drinking water,” said Andrew Zonoozi, a senior at Northwest Christian School in Phoenix. “The water that they use is the water that they end up going to the bathroom in. They end up drinking it. It’s yellow and green and incredibly disgusting.”
Students at dozens of Christian schools in Arizona saw videos of what’s happening in Haiti and have decided to take action. Starting April 8, they pledge to give up drinking anything but water for one week. They will donate the money that they would have spent for soft drinks and other beverages to the Liquid Hope Project, which is raising money to build and repair groundwater wells in Haiti.
The weeklong effort will begin with 5,000 students meeting at the Grand Canyon University Arena. There, they’ll receive a Liquid Hope water bottle that they will drink from for the next week. Zonoozi said drinking only water won’t be a problem for him.
“I can go a week only drinking water if it leads to saving people’s lives. Dirty water leads to 80 percent of all sickness in Haiti.”
Some of the students will actually get to see what’s happening in Haiti first hand.
“We’re going to send students down there this summer to build these wells, and maybe even have a chance to minister to them,” Zonoozi said.
The students are hoping to raise $50,000. For more information about Liquid Hope, go to liquidhope.org.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck