PHOENIX — A lot of teenagers love to drink soft drinks but thousands of Valley teens are pledging that they’re going to give almost every drink in order to help others.
Ever since a 7.0 earthquare rocked Haiti in 2010, the water there has been horrible.
“They have no drinking water,” said Andrew Zonoozi, a senior at Northwest Christian School in Phoenix. “The water that they use is the water that they end up going to the bathroom in. They end up drinking it. It’s yellow and green and incredibly disgusting.”
Students at dozens of Christian schools in Arizona saw videos of what’s happening in Haiti and have decided to take action. Starting April 8, they pledge to give up drinking anything but water for one week. They will donate the money that they would have spent for soft drinks and other beverages to the Liquid Hope Project, which is raising money to build and repair groundwater wells in Haiti.
The weeklong effort will begin with 5,000 students meeting at the Grand Canyon University Arena. There, they’ll receive a Liquid Hope water bottle that they will drink from for the next week. Zonoozi said drinking only water won’t be a problem for him.
“I can go a week only drinking water if it leads to saving people’s lives. Dirty water leads to 80 percent of all sickness in Haiti.”
Some of the students will actually get to see what’s happening in Haiti first hand.
“We’re going to send students down there this summer to build these wells, and maybe even have a chance to minister to them,” Zonoozi said.
The students are hoping to raise $50,000. For more information about Liquid Hope, go to liquidhope.org.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy