PHOENIX — Florida Governor Rick Scott is trying to keep Major League baseball teams from moving their spring training to Arizona.
Arizona has lured the Los Angeles Dodgers, Cincinnati Reds and Cleveland Indians to the Cactus League in the past few years. Scott is proposing that his state set aside $5 million per year to keep the Grapefruit League’s remaining 15 teams from moving.
Florida Sports Foundation President John Webb said the money would be used to help Florida cities to make stadium improvements.
“If it’s a city or a county that has a ballpark that has a team in it, there will be some matching funds from the state to help with stadium renovation or if it needs a new stadium constructed,” he said.
Webb said he supports the plan he believes will be passed by the Florida legislature.
“Obviously, when you have a team that’s been in a place for 50 years, you do run into to stadiums that need renovating. We want to be prepared for it when that time comes.”
The state would help the city once it is within three years of the end of a lease agreement with a team. The leases are up for three Grapefruit League teams in 2016 and two more in 2017. Those teams would be free to move to Arizona if they aren’t happy with their situation in Florida.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier