PHOENIX — Salt River Project went into the winter very concerned that this could be the third consecutive one without significant precipitation, but recent weather has assuaged the fears.
The recent series of storms dumped several feet of snow in the high country and reservoirs that supply the Valley with water are 10 percent higher than January. When the latest snowpack melts, that number should increase by a further 20 percent.
“You could say that this year provided an entire year’s worth of water,” said Charlie Ester with SRP.
Ester said the wet winter means the Valley won’t be seeing any water shortages this year.
Ester said the snowpack in Colorado and Wyoming that feeds the Colorado River, Lake Mead and Lake Powell and the Central Arizona Project has less than stellar, but he’s not alarmed yet.
“Those reservoirs are huge and 55 percent full. That will provide adequate water for several years.”
Roosevelt Lake should be at 60 percent of capacity when the latest snowpack filters into it.
In 2002, lake levels dropped to only 9 percent.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food