PHOENIX — During the boom times just a few years ago, new malls and office buildings were popping up almost daily across the Valley before the recession left many of them empty.
The Valley’s home sales have recovered nicely from rock bottom but it’s a different story when it comes to office and retail space. Economist Rick Merritt with Elliott D. Pollack and Company said almost 25 percent of Phoenix’s commercial real estate is empty.
“A 12 percent vacancy rate could be considered normal,” he said. “It’s going to take three to four more years to get back to that number from where we are now.”
While this has become a big sellers’ market on homes with rising prices and shortages, it is the complete opposite with commercial property, where’s there’s too much available space but deals can be had.
“Prices are still down but up just a bit from last year,” said Merritt. “There’s lots of good opportunities out there.”
Merritt said the empty office space will never be completely gobbled up because many companies want their own new buildings.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development