PHOENIX — During the boom times just a few years ago, new malls and office buildings were popping up almost daily across the Valley before the recession left many of them empty.
The Valley’s home sales have recovered nicely from rock bottom but it’s a different story when it comes to office and retail space. Economist Rick Merritt with Elliott D. Pollack and Company said almost 25 percent of Phoenix’s commercial real estate is empty.
“A 12 percent vacancy rate could be considered normal,” he said. “It’s going to take three to four more years to get back to that number from where we are now.”
While this has become a big sellers’ market on homes with rising prices and shortages, it is the complete opposite with commercial property, where’s there’s too much available space but deals can be had.
“Prices are still down but up just a bit from last year,” said Merritt. “There’s lots of good opportunities out there.”
Merritt said the empty office space will never be completely gobbled up because many companies want their own new buildings.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets