PHOENIX — Voters across Phoenix are determining the fate of three ballot measures in a special election on Tuesday.
Two of the propositions deal with city workers’ pension plans and a third would impact public transit security.
City Clerk Chris Meyer said Proposition 202 would change investment standards for the retirement board in Phoenix. Proposition 201 would increase the age at which an employee can retire.
“This came up with all the public pension plans around the country, and Phoenix took a look at theirs,” Meyer said. “The council put together a citizens’ committee to study it and they made a recommendation.”
Both of the measures relating to pensions would only impact employees hired by the City of Phoenix on or after July 1, 2013.
Prop. 300 would allow the city to hire private security guards who could issue citations on light-rail trains. Currently only armed city officers can write tickets.
City officials expect a 15-20 percent voter turnout. Polls close at 7 p.m.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain