PHOENIX — Voters across Phoenix are determining the fate of three ballot measures in a special election on Tuesday.
Two of the propositions deal with city workers’ pension plans and a third would impact public transit security.
City Clerk Chris Meyer said Proposition 202 would change investment standards for the retirement board in Phoenix. Proposition 201 would increase the age at which an employee can retire.
“This came up with all the public pension plans around the country, and Phoenix took a look at theirs,” Meyer said. “The council put together a citizens’ committee to study it and they made a recommendation.”
Both of the measures relating to pensions would only impact employees hired by the City of Phoenix on or after July 1, 2013.
Prop. 300 would allow the city to hire private security guards who could issue citations on light-rail trains. Currently only armed city officers can write tickets.
City officials expect a 15-20 percent voter turnout. Polls close at 7 p.m.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick