PHOENIX — What could be a combination of the economic recovery and lessened anxiety about heading south for spring break equals great news for the northern Mexico tourism industry.
According to officials in the Mexican state of Sonora, the tourist town of Rocky Point should be expecting upwards of 18,000 people to hit the area for spring break.
“Spring break is huge for us,” said Enrique Franco, Sonora’s liaison to Arizona. There are a lot of beautiful places to visit: Kino Bay, San Carlos and of course Rocky Point is very popular and very safe.”
Franco said that what many tourists don’t realize is that Sonora is actually the safest state on the border.
“Historically, there have been instances of violence,” said Lawrence Lucero, President of the Arizona-Mexico Commission. “However, not nearly to the scale we have seen in other parts of the country.”
Lucero said the Mexican government is taking steps to ensure the safety of American tourists in cities like Rocky Point.
“It’s a reaction from both the state and federal government, to assure there is a police presence whether it’s federal, state or local. They make sure [law enforcement] are well-trained, well-equipped and very visible.”
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas