PHOENIX — What could be a combination of the economic recovery and lessened anxiety about heading south for spring break equals great news for the northern Mexico tourism industry.
According to officials in the Mexican state of Sonora, the tourist town of Rocky Point should be expecting upwards of 18,000 people to hit the area for spring break.
“Spring break is huge for us,” said Enrique Franco, Sonora’s liaison to Arizona. There are a lot of beautiful places to visit: Kino Bay, San Carlos and of course Rocky Point is very popular and very safe.”
Franco said that what many tourists don’t realize is that Sonora is actually the safest state on the border.
“Historically, there have been instances of violence,” said Lawrence Lucero, President of the Arizona-Mexico Commission. “However, not nearly to the scale we have seen in other parts of the country.”
Lucero said the Mexican government is taking steps to ensure the safety of American tourists in cities like Rocky Point.
“It’s a reaction from both the state and federal government, to assure there is a police presence whether it’s federal, state or local. They make sure [law enforcement] are well-trained, well-equipped and very visible.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon