PHOENIX — Several Republicans in the Arizona House are urging the state to let police decide what to do with guns that come into the state’s possession via buyback programs.
The House approved a bill last week that allows cities to participate in gun buyback programs, under the condition that that weapons are not destroyed. The bill is now in the hands of the Senate.
House Minority Leader Chad Campbell said the GOP-backed bill will force cities or counties to sell off the weapons and the state has no business telling localities what to do.
“It should be up to the cops on the street to decide what to do with these weapons. If they want to destroy them? Great. If they want to sell them off? Great. It should be up to local cops.”
Republican Rep. Brenda Barton backed the bill and believes cities and counties could use profits from the sales of guns taken in buybacks to help with budgets.
Campbell sponsored a bill that died in a House committee that would have allowed cities to have the ability to destroy or sell the guns.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development