PHOENIX — Several Republicans in the Arizona House are urging the state to let police decide what to do with guns that come into the state’s possession via buyback programs.
The House approved a bill last week that allows cities to participate in gun buyback programs, under the condition that that weapons are not destroyed. The bill is now in the hands of the Senate.
House Minority Leader Chad Campbell said the GOP-backed bill will force cities or counties to sell off the weapons and the state has no business telling localities what to do.
“It should be up to the cops on the street to decide what to do with these weapons. If they want to destroy them? Great. If they want to sell them off? Great. It should be up to local cops.”
Republican Rep. Brenda Barton backed the bill and believes cities and counties could use profits from the sales of guns taken in buybacks to help with budgets.
Campbell sponsored a bill that died in a House committee that would have allowed cities to have the ability to destroy or sell the guns.
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains