PHOENIX — Several Republicans in the Arizona House are urging the state to let police decide what to do with guns that come into the state’s possession via buyback programs.
The House approved a bill last week that allows cities to participate in gun buyback programs, under the condition that that weapons are not destroyed. The bill is now in the hands of the Senate.
House Minority Leader Chad Campbell said the GOP-backed bill will force cities or counties to sell off the weapons and the state has no business telling localities what to do.
“It should be up to the cops on the street to decide what to do with these weapons. If they want to destroy them? Great. If they want to sell them off? Great. It should be up to local cops.”
Republican Rep. Brenda Barton backed the bill and believes cities and counties could use profits from the sales of guns taken in buybacks to help with budgets.
Campbell sponsored a bill that died in a House committee that would have allowed cities to have the ability to destroy or sell the guns.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America