PHOENIX — Several Republicans in the Arizona House are urging the state to let police decide what to do with guns that come into the state’s possession via buyback programs.
The House approved a bill last week that allows cities to participate in gun buyback programs, under the condition that that weapons are not destroyed. The bill is now in the hands of the Senate.
House Minority Leader Chad Campbell said the GOP-backed bill will force cities or counties to sell off the weapons and the state has no business telling localities what to do.
“It should be up to the cops on the street to decide what to do with these weapons. If they want to destroy them? Great. If they want to sell them off? Great. It should be up to local cops.”
Republican Rep. Brenda Barton backed the bill and believes cities and counties could use profits from the sales of guns taken in buybacks to help with budgets.
Campbell sponsored a bill that died in a House committee that would have allowed cities to have the ability to destroy or sell the guns.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food