A Phoenix native and United States soldier is now fighting alongside al-Qaida and other forces in the Middle East.
According to Fox News, Eric Harroun, 30, enlisted in the Army in 2000. After three years, he was discharged following a serious injury in a car accident.
Harroun, known in the region as The American, has fought alongside Syrian rebels and Jabhat al-Nusra, a group identified by U.S. officials as an alias for al-Qaida.
“I was separated in a battle and most of my group was K.I.A. and Al-Nusra picked me up,” Harroun told FoxNews.com during one of several brief interviews conducted via Skype.
Harroun now identifies himself as an anti-Israel Sunni Muslim. He has appeared in several videos speaking out against Israelis and has posted anti-Semite statements on multiple forums.
The man’s father, Darryl Harroun, said the family views his son as an adventurer, but said his son suffers from depression and mood swings.
“He just loves that part of the world,” said Darryl Harroun, who said his family has been in the U.S. for several generations and is not Muslim. “We scratch our heads and wonder what the hell he’s doing. I told him, ‘You’re never going to change those people’s minds over there.’ But he says they treat him like a hero.
“I know one day I’m going to get a message from over there, telling me my son is dead,” he said.
Originally assigned to the Army’s 568th Engineer Company based at Fort Riley, Kan., Harroun worked for a Phoenix mortgage company after being discharged from the military.
Harroun said he is currently in Turkey but is planning another move soon, possibly to Israel.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.