A Phoenix native and United States soldier is now fighting alongside al-Qaida and other forces in the Middle East.
According to Fox News, Eric Harroun, 30, enlisted in the Army in 2000. After three years, he was discharged following a serious injury in a car accident.
Harroun, known in the region as The American, has fought alongside Syrian rebels and Jabhat al-Nusra, a group identified by U.S. officials as an alias for al-Qaida.
“I was separated in a battle and most of my group was K.I.A. and Al-Nusra picked me up,” Harroun told FoxNews.com during one of several brief interviews conducted via Skype.
Harroun now identifies himself as an anti-Israel Sunni Muslim. He has appeared in several videos speaking out against Israelis and has posted anti-Semite statements on multiple forums.
The man’s father, Darryl Harroun, said the family views his son as an adventurer, but said his son suffers from depression and mood swings.
“He just loves that part of the world,” said Darryl Harroun, who said his family has been in the U.S. for several generations and is not Muslim. “We scratch our heads and wonder what the hell he’s doing. I told him, ‘You’re never going to change those people’s minds over there.’ But he says they treat him like a hero.
“I know one day I’m going to get a message from over there, telling me my son is dead,” he said.
Originally assigned to the Army’s 568th Engineer Company based at Fort Riley, Kan., Harroun worked for a Phoenix mortgage company after being discharged from the military.
Harroun said he is currently in Turkey but is planning another move soon, possibly to Israel.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon