What Google thinks about you matters to a potential boss, according to a Mashable article.
With 10 percent of non-celebrity people searches taking up Google search volume, a recruiter or hiring manager will most likely look you up before giving you a job. Kevin Nakao, author of the Mashable article, points out five ways to keep up with your online persona.
Google your name
Without being logged into Google, search your name and pay special attention to the first page. If anything negative appears about your name in the next 10 pages, consider how you can change it. Make a common name more specific by adding your middle name to LinkedIn and your resume.
Be the first
There are simple ways to make your name appear on the first pages of the results. You can customize your Linkedin URL with your name or set up a Google+ account, which helps bring your results up first. It also highlights information you want to include.
To demonstrate awards, you can use MeritShare. It can import public information off of LinkedIn, and also rewards you with online recognition as you showcase good in a co-worker as well.
Block the bad
Sites like Facebook allow you to mark specific content you don’t want in the public. Limit your profile access to friends only. There are also paid services to remove negative content associated with you.
Place what you want
You can choose articles or mentions that you want on the first page by using sites like BrandYourself.
Look for professional social networks in your area and have a public profile in them. Comment on an article, answer a question in Quora and share posts on social networks. Google looks at social activity for ranking.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns