What Google thinks about you matters to a potential boss, according to a Mashable article.
With 10 percent of non-celebrity people searches taking up Google search volume, a recruiter or hiring manager will most likely look you up before giving you a job. Kevin Nakao, author of the Mashable article, points out five ways to keep up with your online persona.
Google your name
Without being logged into Google, search your name and pay special attention to the first page. If anything negative appears about your name in the next 10 pages, consider how you can change it. Make a common name more specific by adding your middle name to LinkedIn and your resume.
Be the first
There are simple ways to make your name appear on the first pages of the results. You can customize your Linkedin URL with your name or set up a Google+ account, which helps bring your results up first. It also highlights information you want to include.
To demonstrate awards, you can use MeritShare. It can import public information off of LinkedIn, and also rewards you with online recognition as you showcase good in a co-worker as well.
Block the bad
Sites like Facebook allow you to mark specific content you don’t want in the public. Limit your profile access to friends only. There are also paid services to remove negative content associated with you.
Place what you want
You can choose articles or mentions that you want on the first page by using sites like BrandYourself.
Look for professional social networks in your area and have a public profile in them. Comment on an article, answer a question in Quora and share posts on social networks. Google looks at social activity for ranking.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food