PHOENIX — An annual border security exposition got under way Tuesday at the Phoenix Convention Center.
The two-day event is a showcase for vendors as they trot out the latest tools in securing the border.
Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano recently claimed that the border is more secure than ever before. Ron Colburn, former Deputy National Chief with the Border Patrol, said that claim is laughable and the border is more dangerous than before and more complex because agents are fighting drug cartels that have better firepower and, in some cases, better technology.
And the smugglers are not up against budget cuts — i.e. the sequester — that will reduce the number of American agents.
“The cartels have fingertip access to billions of dollars, much of it in American currency,” said Colburn. “They can buy almost anything they want. Shoe boxes filled with money, stashed in homes floor to ceiling.”
Colburn agreed that we do now have more boots on the ground at the border and better technology than before.
Colburn is also strongly opposed to the recent release of hundreds of illegal immigrants from detention centers by Immigrations and Customs Enforcement.
“Somebody in this group will do harm to someone soon. It could be armed robbery, drugs, carjacking, home invasion. They will go right back to what they were doing before they were incarcerated.”
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise