PHOENIX — More than 100 immigrant rights supporters marched on Monday to protest workplace raids conducted by the Maricopa Sheriff’s Office.
The protesters met at Steele Indian School Park at Indian School Road and Central Avenue. They plan to march downtown to Immigration and Customs Enforcement at Fifth and Van Buren streets and the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office at Third Avenue and Jefferson Street.
Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s office has raided 70 businesses for identity theft and according to Carlos Garcia with the grassroots immigrants rights organization Puente Movement, the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office has prosecuted all the cases.
Families are being torn apart, said Garcia.
“One way to start is to have (Maricopa County Attorney) Bill Montgomery drop the charges against the people that have been stopped in the raids and the other way is for the Obama administration to just halt the deportations.
“The immigration reform conversations are moving forward.”
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life