PHOENIX — More than 100 immigrant rights supporters marched on Monday to protest workplace raids conducted by the Maricopa Sheriff’s Office.
The protesters met at Steele Indian School Park at Indian School Road and Central Avenue. They plan to march downtown to Immigration and Customs Enforcement at Fifth and Van Buren streets and the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office at Third Avenue and Jefferson Street.
Sheriff Joe Arpaio’s office has raided 70 businesses for identity theft and according to Carlos Garcia with the grassroots immigrants rights organization Puente Movement, the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office has prosecuted all the cases.
Families are being torn apart, said Garcia.
“One way to start is to have (Maricopa County Attorney) Bill Montgomery drop the charges against the people that have been stopped in the raids and the other way is for the Obama administration to just halt the deportations.
“The immigration reform conversations are moving forward.”
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas