Students at Yuma High School are being called Criminals, and they’re happy about it!
“We are proud to be Criminals, and this is what we stand for,” said Yuma High student body president Riga Orta.
The Criminal is Yuma High’s mascot. It’s been named as the best High School Mascot in Arizona. The Criminal won 95 percent of the online voting in the Arizona Competition for USA Today’s National Best Mascot Contest. It beat out the Gila Bend Gila Monsters, the Heritage Academy Heroes, the Page San Devils and the Valley Vista Monsoon.
Yuma High Principal Faith Klostreich tells KYMA-TV that she’s pretty proud of the win.
“This is a source of pride for the entire community because of the history behind the Criminals,” Klostreich said.
Yuma High School started in 1909, with the first classes held at the Yuma Territorial Prison. In 1914, Yuma beat Phoenix Union for the Arizona high school football championship. Outraged Phoenix fans called the Yuma team a “bunch of criminals.” The name stuck, and was adopted by the Yuma School Board three years later.
The mascot now moves on to the next round of the national contest, were it will be competing in an online vote with mascots from all 50 states. Orta said Yuma students are going all out to win.
“I walk around some of the computer monitors in classes and stuff and I see some of the students online voting,” said Orta. “We want to win this. We want the pride.”
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development