A energy bar company is turning to an unusual ingredient for its product.
According to Daily Mail, a Salt Lake City based energy bar producer, Chapul, is putting crickets in its energy bars.
The reason for the inclusion of crickets is because of the health benefits that go along with consuming them.
‘Insects have similar protein contents to livestock, but are healthier because they have less fat,’ said Chapul founder Pat Crowley.
While it seems strange to eat insects in the west, many consumers neglect the fact that they already consume products with trace amounts of insect in them such as rice and beans.
The Chapul bars are sold in 12 different states at local retailers in two different flavors, the Chaco bar and the Thai bar.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier