It’s long been rumored that Mesa Mayor Scott Smith, who is currently serving his second term in office, would have interest in running for governor of Arizona in 2014.
Smith discussed his political interests in an interview with Politico.com and expanded upon his desire for a future campaign for governor.
“I’ve told many people that have talked to me about running for governor in the election in 2014, that I’ll spend this year and during my term with the U.S. Conference of Mayors going around and talking to people to see if I can really make a difference,” Smith told Politico reporter Alexander Burns.” I ran for mayor, because I honestly believed I could make a difference.
“I found out that if you work with the right people, if you do the right thing and if you care more about your constituency than you do about ideology, then you can make changes…I’ve got to make sure that’s something I can do on the state level. I’m probably going to spend the next year doing that.”
Smith also added that if he announces his candidacy it’ll likely be in the first part of 2014, and that he doesn’t believe Governor Jan Brewer will run for reelection.
“I’m going to do what’s right for me and what’s right for the state,” said Smith. “Also, my responsibility is to the city of Mesa and to the Conference of Mayors.”
Smith will take over as the president of the U.S. Conference of Mayors in June.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night