It’s long been rumored that Mesa Mayor Scott Smith, who is currently serving his second term in office, would have interest in running for governor of Arizona in 2014.
Smith discussed his political interests in an interview with Politico.com and expanded upon his desire for a future campaign for governor.
“I’ve told many people that have talked to me about running for governor in the election in 2014, that I’ll spend this year and during my term with the U.S. Conference of Mayors going around and talking to people to see if I can really make a difference,” Smith told Politico reporter Alexander Burns.” I ran for mayor, because I honestly believed I could make a difference.
“I found out that if you work with the right people, if you do the right thing and if you care more about your constituency than you do about ideology, then you can make changes…I’ve got to make sure that’s something I can do on the state level. I’m probably going to spend the next year doing that.”
Smith also added that if he announces his candidacy it’ll likely be in the first part of 2014, and that he doesn’t believe Governor Jan Brewer will run for reelection.
“I’m going to do what’s right for me and what’s right for the state,” said Smith. “Also, my responsibility is to the city of Mesa and to the Conference of Mayors.”
Smith will take over as the president of the U.S. Conference of Mayors in June.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy