It’s long been rumored that Mesa Mayor Scott Smith, who is currently serving his second term in office, would have interest in running for governor of Arizona in 2014.
Smith discussed his political interests in an interview with Politico.com and expanded upon his desire for a future campaign for governor.
“I’ve told many people that have talked to me about running for governor in the election in 2014, that I’ll spend this year and during my term with the U.S. Conference of Mayors going around and talking to people to see if I can really make a difference,” Smith told Politico reporter Alexander Burns.” I ran for mayor, because I honestly believed I could make a difference.
“I found out that if you work with the right people, if you do the right thing and if you care more about your constituency than you do about ideology, then you can make changes…I’ve got to make sure that’s something I can do on the state level. I’m probably going to spend the next year doing that.”
Smith also added that if he announces his candidacy it’ll likely be in the first part of 2014, and that he doesn’t believe Governor Jan Brewer will run for reelection.
“I’m going to do what’s right for me and what’s right for the state,” said Smith. “Also, my responsibility is to the city of Mesa and to the Conference of Mayors.”
Smith will take over as the president of the U.S. Conference of Mayors in June.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life