SCOTTSDALE — Scottsdale police said a man sought for questioning in past sex crimes was fatally shot by police detectives after he fired a shot at them.
Officer David Pubins said the shooting occurred Friday morning after detectives tried to make contact with the man as he drove on a local street.
The man was identified Friday afternoon as Scottsdale resident Thomas Hawes.
Hawes was wanted for questioning after it was recently revealed, that beginning in 2003 for a period of seveb years, he was accused of sexually molesting a juvenile female relative. The victim was a juvenile during the entire time that the crimes had taken place, but now as an adult she came forward with the allegations.
According to Pubins, Hawas pulled over to the side of the road and approaching detectives then noticed he had a gun pointed at himself.
Pubins said he got out of his vehicle and pointed his gun at the detectives and fired one shot that missed.
Hawes was killed when officers returned fire.
A total of five Scottsdale Police Detectives were involved in the shooting and were all placed on leave as per policy.
The investigation is still ongoing at this point.
The Associated Press contributed to this report
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy