SCOTTSDALE — Scottsdale police said a man sought for questioning in past sex crimes was fatally shot by police detectives after he fired a shot at them.
Officer David Pubins said the shooting occurred Friday morning after detectives tried to make contact with the man as he drove on a local street.
The man was identified Friday afternoon as Scottsdale resident Thomas Hawes.
Hawes was wanted for questioning after it was recently revealed, that beginning in 2003 for a period of seveb years, he was accused of sexually molesting a juvenile female relative. The victim was a juvenile during the entire time that the crimes had taken place, but now as an adult she came forward with the allegations.
According to Pubins, Hawas pulled over to the side of the road and approaching detectives then noticed he had a gun pointed at himself.
Pubins said he got out of his vehicle and pointed his gun at the detectives and fired one shot that missed.
Hawes was killed when officers returned fire.
A total of five Scottsdale Police Detectives were involved in the shooting and were all placed on leave as per policy.
The investigation is still ongoing at this point.
The Associated Press contributed to this report
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night