SCOTTSDALE — Scottsdale police said a man sought for questioning in past sex crimes was fatally shot by police detectives after he fired a shot at them.
Officer David Pubins said the shooting occurred Friday morning after detectives tried to make contact with the man as he drove on a local street.
The man was identified Friday afternoon as Scottsdale resident Thomas Hawes.
Hawes was wanted for questioning after it was recently revealed, that beginning in 2003 for a period of seveb years, he was accused of sexually molesting a juvenile female relative. The victim was a juvenile during the entire time that the crimes had taken place, but now as an adult she came forward with the allegations.
According to Pubins, Hawas pulled over to the side of the road and approaching detectives then noticed he had a gun pointed at himself.
Pubins said he got out of his vehicle and pointed his gun at the detectives and fired one shot that missed.
Hawes was killed when officers returned fire.
A total of five Scottsdale Police Detectives were involved in the shooting and were all placed on leave as per policy.
The investigation is still ongoing at this point.
The Associated Press contributed to this report
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns