SCOTTSDALE — Scottsdale police said a man sought for questioning in past sex crimes was fatally shot by police detectives after he fired a shot at them.
Officer David Pubins said the shooting occurred Friday morning after detectives tried to make contact with the man as he drove on a local street.
The man was identified Friday afternoon as Scottsdale resident Thomas Hawes.
Hawes was wanted for questioning after it was recently revealed, that beginning in 2003 for a period of seveb years, he was accused of sexually molesting a juvenile female relative. The victim was a juvenile during the entire time that the crimes had taken place, but now as an adult she came forward with the allegations.
According to Pubins, Hawas pulled over to the side of the road and approaching detectives then noticed he had a gun pointed at himself.
Pubins said he got out of his vehicle and pointed his gun at the detectives and fired one shot that missed.
Hawes was killed when officers returned fire.
A total of five Scottsdale Police Detectives were involved in the shooting and were all placed on leave as per policy.
The investigation is still ongoing at this point.
The Associated Press contributed to this report
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development