BOSTON (AP) – Former U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords received the 2013 Profile in Courage award at the John F. Kennedy Library on Sunday in recognition of the political, personal, and physical courage she has demonstrated in her fearless public advocacy for policy reforms aimed at reducing gun violence.
Giffords, who was seriously wounded in a 2011 shooting when a lone gunman opened fire as she met with constituents in a Tucson, Ariz., shopping mall, and her husband, former astronaut Mark Kelly, have been lobbying for more gun control legislation.
This year, on the second anniversary of the January shooting, the couple started Americans for Responsible Gun Ownership, an organization that “supports the right to bear arms and responsible public policy on guns and gun ownership.”
Caroline Kennedy, President of the John F. Kennedy Library Foundation, presented the award to Giffords.
Kennedy took a moment to salute the first responders and the citizens of Boston. Referring to the Boston Marathon bombings last month, Kennedy said, “All Americans have been inspired by the countless acts of selfless bravery and compassion we saw during the violence that struck this city on Patriots Day.”
In presenting the award to the former Arizona Congresswoman, Kennedy said, “Gabby Giffords has turned a personal nightmare into a movement for political change.”
Earlier Sunday, Giffords and Kelly spent time visiting victims of the marathon bombings at Spaulding Rehabilitation Center in Boston.
“For victims of the Boston Marathon bombings, we extend our deepest sympathies to all of you who have endured violence and loss,” Kelly said.
“Courage means doing everything we can to prevent other parents from having to endure that loss,” he said.
Alluding to her disappointment in Congress’ failure to pass gun control legislation last week, Giffords called for courage from lawmakers.
“I believe we all have courage inside,” she said. “I just wish there was more courage in Congress.”
“It’s been a hard two years for me,” Giffords said, “but I want to make the world a better place more than ever.”
Kelly also praised his wife.
“There are people who make things happen. There are people who watch things happen. And there are people who wonder what just happened,” Kelly said. “Gabby Giffords is a person who makes things happen.”
Kennedy cited Giffords’ strength to carry on a difficult fight.
“Our family is still suffering from the heartbreak caused by gun violence,” Kennedy said. “No one should have to lose a husband, a wife, a father, a child, to senseless murder.
“But as our nominee has shown, out of that pain and tragedy, we must find the strength to carry on, to give meaning to our lives, and to build a more just and peaceful world.”
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.