PHOENIX — Brittney Griner scored 50 points in a game and can dunk, and the Baylor center may soon be drafted by the Phoenix Mercury.
But a lot of men may never see her play in person.
Mercury president Amber Cox said the WNBA doesn’t get a lot of attention on ESPN.
“A lot of guys at times can dismiss the WNBA or the women’s game as a whole,” Cox said.
But she wants to change that. She’s challenging guys to “man up” and go to a Mercury game this season. So the team is offering free tickets…for men.
“We believe in the product, we believe in the level of play, so we want to invite guys out to test it out for themselves,” said Cox.
The tickets will be in the first 10 rows of the lower bowl at US Airways Center.
The deal is bringing a lot of attention to the Mercury.
“This has recently caught some momentum for us,” said Cox. “It started as an article on PhoenixMercury.com from our great writer Ben York, and it’s caught some steam. We’re excited about that. We’re excited that people are interested in helping us spread that word. I think this is probably the most attention something like this has gotten.”
The free tickets promotion starts on May 27, when the Mercury host the Chicago Sky.
To get the tickets, email Ben York at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths