PHOENIX — Brittney Griner scored 50 points in a game and can dunk, and the Baylor center may soon be drafted by the Phoenix Mercury.
But a lot of men may never see her play in person.
Mercury president Amber Cox said the WNBA doesn’t get a lot of attention on ESPN.
“A lot of guys at times can dismiss the WNBA or the women’s game as a whole,” Cox said.
But she wants to change that. She’s challenging guys to “man up” and go to a Mercury game this season. So the team is offering free tickets…for men.
“We believe in the product, we believe in the level of play, so we want to invite guys out to test it out for themselves,” said Cox.
The tickets will be in the first 10 rows of the lower bowl at US Airways Center.
The deal is bringing a lot of attention to the Mercury.
“This has recently caught some momentum for us,” said Cox. “It started as an article on PhoenixMercury.com from our great writer Ben York, and it’s caught some steam. We’re excited about that. We’re excited that people are interested in helping us spread that word. I think this is probably the most attention something like this has gotten.”
The free tickets promotion starts on May 27, when the Mercury host the Chicago Sky.
To get the tickets, email Ben York at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night