The emergence of mobile technology has generated a paradoxical renovation to the American job market.
According to USA Today, the number of mobile technology users in the U.S. has increased exponentially from two years ago.
The Pew Research Center reported that 48 percent of workers owned smartphones and 33 percent had tablets in May 2011. Currently, smartphone usage jumped to 62 percent and tablet ownership reached 33 percent in the national workforce.
On the one hand, smartphones and tablets have enabled workers to operate from a myriad of alternative locales, essentially inaugurating constant communication throughout the workplace.
However, like many innovations, this paradigm-shifting technology is two-fold. An easily accessible work environment has blurred the boundaries between career obligations and personal responsibilities. Shut-down mode is no longer an option, particularly when competition lurks around every corner.
“There’s an arms-race component to this,” says Lee Rainie, who directs the Pew Research Center’s ongoing study of technology’s social impact. If someone is “sucking up to the boss at midnight, (others think) ‘I’ve got to make sure I say something, too.’ “
The question, therefore, becomes does the rise of mobile devices warrant the potential 24-hour workday? Apparently that’s for each person to decide individually at this point.
“There are no consistent workplace rules and expectations” in this area, says Pew’s Rainie. That makes for “a tension-rife situation.”
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier