PHOENIX — The National Weather Service said the Valley will receive a little rain and maybe thunder and lightning this weekend.
A Friday storm that started overnight is expected to bring about one-quarter to a half-inch of rainfall to the Valley, along with a big drop in temperature to the mid-60s. Showers will linger Saturday but clear up by Sunday.
The good news is it should be the last cold storm of the Arizona winter, said Jessica Nolte with the weather bureau.
The heaviest rains — with a little thunder and lightning as well — should hit during both rush-hour commutes.
“The Friday commute from 4-9 in the morning is when we will see the first round of rainfall,” Nolte said, adding there’s a 50-50 chance of rain in the afternoon and evening.
The storm is going to unload on the high country with “4-10 inches above 6,000 feet. Even higher amounts above 7,000 feet with 8-14 inches of snow,” Nolte said. The snow started falling early Friday.
Friday around 10 a.m. the Arizona Department of Transportation closed westbound State Route 260 at milepost 302 near Heber because of multiple slide-offs and winter conditions.
Officials cleared the road and at 1 p.m. the road was reopened.
Locations expected to get heavy snowfall include Flagstaff, the White Mountains,
the Kaibab Plateau and areas along the Mogollon Rim.
Chains or four-wheel drive is required on northbound State Route 87 between Payson and Clints Well. Chains are recommended for southbound travelers, too.
The Arizona Department of Public Safety says motorists should avoid travel if
possible or be prepared for slick roads and limited visibility.
Sky Harbor has recorded 1.70 inches of rainfall for the year. The average for this time of year is 2.06 inches.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life