PHOENIX — The National Weather Service said the Valley will receive a little rain and maybe thunder and lightning this weekend.
A Friday storm that started overnight is expected to bring about one-quarter to a half-inch of rainfall to the Valley, along with a big drop in temperature to the mid-60s. Showers will linger Saturday but clear up by Sunday.
The good news is it should be the last cold storm of the Arizona winter, said Jessica Nolte with the weather bureau.
The heaviest rains — with a little thunder and lightning as well — should hit during both rush-hour commutes.
“The Friday commute from 4-9 in the morning is when we will see the first round of rainfall,” Nolte said, adding there’s a 50-50 chance of rain in the afternoon and evening.
The storm is going to unload on the high country with “4-10 inches above 6,000 feet. Even higher amounts above 7,000 feet with 8-14 inches of snow,” Nolte said. The snow started falling early Friday.
Friday around 10 a.m. the Arizona Department of Transportation closed westbound State Route 260 at milepost 302 near Heber because of multiple slide-offs and winter conditions.
Officials cleared the road and at 1 p.m. the road was reopened.
Locations expected to get heavy snowfall include Flagstaff, the White Mountains,
the Kaibab Plateau and areas along the Mogollon Rim.
Chains or four-wheel drive is required on northbound State Route 87 between Payson and Clints Well. Chains are recommended for southbound travelers, too.
The Arizona Department of Public Safety says motorists should avoid travel if
possible or be prepared for slick roads and limited visibility.
Sky Harbor has recorded 1.70 inches of rainfall for the year. The average for this time of year is 2.06 inches.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.