PHOENIX — Dozens of women will be training at the Arizona Wildfire Academy next week in Prescott while others are training in the Valley this weekend to become firefighters.
Erin Phelps, a firefighter and hotshot team member with the Coconino National Forest in Flagstaff, started out with the Pleasant Valley Hotshots on the Tonto National Forest, moved on to the Mormon Lake crew and then got a permanent job with the Flagstaff Hotshots. She spent a grand total of five years as a hotshot and that is the most demanding job in the wildfire world.
“For me it was always about the challenge. I’ve always been competitive and like pushing myself physically. I started working on an engine crew and saw a hotshot crew working in remote and rugged country in Idaho. I was like, ‘Wow, I want to do that.’ The next year I applied for being on a hotshot crew and never looked back.”
Phelps said you’re with the same people for six months on end in remote places, without much in the way of contact with the outside world. But that comes with being part of a tight-knit group that really becomes a second family.
“They were like big brothers watching out for a little sister.”
Phelps said her crewmates knew she was one of them, but she encountered other crews or people who had no idea that she was a hotshot and that she was sometimes discounted until they worked with her.
“There’s still a bit of a stigma for women to get past,” she said.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon