PHOENIX — Dozens of women will be training at the Arizona Wildfire Academy next week in Prescott while others are training in the Valley this weekend to become firefighters.
Erin Phelps, a firefighter and hotshot team member with the Coconino National Forest in Flagstaff, started out with the Pleasant Valley Hotshots on the Tonto National Forest, moved on to the Mormon Lake crew and then got a permanent job with the Flagstaff Hotshots. She spent a grand total of five years as a hotshot and that is the most demanding job in the wildfire world.
“For me it was always about the challenge. I’ve always been competitive and like pushing myself physically. I started working on an engine crew and saw a hotshot crew working in remote and rugged country in Idaho. I was like, ‘Wow, I want to do that.’ The next year I applied for being on a hotshot crew and never looked back.”
Phelps said you’re with the same people for six months on end in remote places, without much in the way of contact with the outside world. But that comes with being part of a tight-knit group that really becomes a second family.
“They were like big brothers watching out for a little sister.”
Phelps said her crewmates knew she was one of them, but she encountered other crews or people who had no idea that she was a hotshot and that she was sometimes discounted until they worked with her.
“There’s still a bit of a stigma for women to get past,” she said.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier