A northern Arizona highway that was destroyed by a landslide will cost the federal government about $35 million to repair, the Arizona Department of Transportation said in a release.
On Tuesday, the federal government released $2 million in aid to begin repairs on US 89 immediately.
“Our budget for emergencies is very limited, and local governments have even greater financial constraints with limited cash available to fund emergencies,” said ADOT Deputy Director for Transportation Jennifer Toth in a press release. “This initial allocation serves as a down payment on the overall emergency relief needs for US 89.”
ADOT said those funds will go to assessing the stability of the slope and other operations.
“We’re currently doing a geo-technical analysis, which is a fancy way of saying that we’re putting holes in the ground to monitor the movement of the earth below the roadway,” said Timothy Tait, ADOT spokesman.
US 89 is indefinitely closed between the junction with US 89A and State Route 98.
KTAR’s Sandra Haros contributed to this report.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food