A northern Arizona highway that was destroyed by a landslide will cost the federal government about $35 million to repair, the Arizona Department of Transportation said in a release.
On Tuesday, the federal government released $2 million in aid to begin repairs on US 89 immediately.
“Our budget for emergencies is very limited, and local governments have even greater financial constraints with limited cash available to fund emergencies,” said ADOT Deputy Director for Transportation Jennifer Toth in a press release. “This initial allocation serves as a down payment on the overall emergency relief needs for US 89.”
ADOT said those funds will go to assessing the stability of the slope and other operations.
“We’re currently doing a geo-technical analysis, which is a fancy way of saying that we’re putting holes in the ground to monitor the movement of the earth below the roadway,” said Timothy Tait, ADOT spokesman.
US 89 is indefinitely closed between the junction with US 89A and State Route 98.
KTAR’s Sandra Haros contributed to this report.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier