PHOENIX — A warning to hikers on the Valley mountain trails, the warmer temperatures have brought out the rattlesnakes.
Phoenix Fire Deputy Chief Chris Ketterer said the cold-blooded creatures are looking to warm up.
“That could be on hiking trails and rocks. If you see one, back away slowly.”
Most snakebites occur when someone fails to put plenty of distance between themselves and the rattler.
“Get away and warn others on the hiking trail. If there’s a known problem on the trail the park rangers are helpful.”
Many snakebites involve people who’ve had too much alcohol and decide to taunt the snake Ketterer said.
Don’t be surprised if a rattler shows up around your home on a driveway, patio or porch. Call a pest controller if the snake is not a direct threat. When your life is in danger or you’ve been bitten call 911.
Ketterer advised hikers to wear the proper footwear and long pants and stay on the trails.
Last year Phoenix Fire responded to 29 rattlesnake calls. There has not been a snake bite-related call in 2013.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development