PHOENIX — A warning to hikers on the Valley mountain trails, the warmer temperatures have brought out the rattlesnakes.
Phoenix Fire Deputy Chief Chris Ketterer said the cold-blooded creatures are looking to warm up.
“That could be on hiking trails and rocks. If you see one, back away slowly.”
Most snakebites occur when someone fails to put plenty of distance between themselves and the rattler.
“Get away and warn others on the hiking trail. If there’s a known problem on the trail the park rangers are helpful.”
Many snakebites involve people who’ve had too much alcohol and decide to taunt the snake Ketterer said.
Don’t be surprised if a rattler shows up around your home on a driveway, patio or porch. Call a pest controller if the snake is not a direct threat. When your life is in danger or you’ve been bitten call 911.
Ketterer advised hikers to wear the proper footwear and long pants and stay on the trails.
Last year Phoenix Fire responded to 29 rattlesnake calls. There has not been a snake bite-related call in 2013.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck