GLENDALE, Ariz. — The City of Glendale is reportedly exploring a 12-year deal for the city-owned Jobing.com Arena, home to the Phoenix Coyotes.
According to the Glendale Star, Glendale Councilmember Gary Sherwood said the city prefers the 12-year deal over the 20-year deal it originally agreed to with Greg Jamison.
“I think and the city thinks that 12 years is a more reasonable time table and a better pill to swallow,” Sherwood said. “There are negotiations going on behind the scenes and, no offense to (the press), but I think that is where they should be, behind closed doors.”
Sherwood said he is in favor of a deal to keep the Coyotes in Glendale because he does not see the surrounding Westgate area surviving without an anchor tenant.
“I am a hockey fan, but I am not working on this for hockey, but for the survival of Westgate Center.”
The city has been in contact with prospective buyer Greg Jamison, who missed a January deadline to purchase the team, along with a few others.
“There are the usual players that were here before, (Matthew Hulsizer and Anthony LeBlanc, Jerry Reinsdorf and Michael Reinsdorf) they are all involved and a factor.”
Despite the presence of numerous interested parties, Sherwood said a deal would have to get done soon to keep the team in Glendale.
The Glendale Star said a deal would have to be completed by June or the NHL would be forced to move the team. Several cities — including Quebec City, Las Vegas and Seattle — have reportedly expressed interest.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food