GLENDALE, Ariz. — The City of Glendale is reportedly exploring a 12-year deal for the city-owned Jobing.com Arena, home to the Phoenix Coyotes.
According to the Glendale Star, Glendale Councilmember Gary Sherwood said the city prefers the 12-year deal over the 20-year deal it originally agreed to with Greg Jamison.
“I think and the city thinks that 12 years is a more reasonable time table and a better pill to swallow,” Sherwood said. “There are negotiations going on behind the scenes and, no offense to (the press), but I think that is where they should be, behind closed doors.”
Sherwood said he is in favor of a deal to keep the Coyotes in Glendale because he does not see the surrounding Westgate area surviving without an anchor tenant.
“I am a hockey fan, but I am not working on this for hockey, but for the survival of Westgate Center.”
The city has been in contact with prospective buyer Greg Jamison, who missed a January deadline to purchase the team, along with a few others.
“There are the usual players that were here before, (Matthew Hulsizer and Anthony LeBlanc, Jerry Reinsdorf and Michael Reinsdorf) they are all involved and a factor.”
Despite the presence of numerous interested parties, Sherwood said a deal would have to get done soon to keep the team in Glendale.
The Glendale Star said a deal would have to be completed by June or the NHL would be forced to move the team. Several cities — including Quebec City, Las Vegas and Seattle — have reportedly expressed interest.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night