GLENDALE, Ariz. — The City of Glendale is reportedly exploring a 12-year deal for the city-owned Jobing.com Arena, home to the Phoenix Coyotes.
According to the Glendale Star, Glendale Councilmember Gary Sherwood said the city prefers the 12-year deal over the 20-year deal it originally agreed to with Greg Jamison.
“I think and the city thinks that 12 years is a more reasonable time table and a better pill to swallow,” Sherwood said. “There are negotiations going on behind the scenes and, no offense to (the press), but I think that is where they should be, behind closed doors.”
Sherwood said he is in favor of a deal to keep the Coyotes in Glendale because he does not see the surrounding Westgate area surviving without an anchor tenant.
“I am a hockey fan, but I am not working on this for hockey, but for the survival of Westgate Center.”
The city has been in contact with prospective buyer Greg Jamison, who missed a January deadline to purchase the team, along with a few others.
“There are the usual players that were here before, (Matthew Hulsizer and Anthony LeBlanc, Jerry Reinsdorf and Michael Reinsdorf) they are all involved and a factor.”
Despite the presence of numerous interested parties, Sherwood said a deal would have to get done soon to keep the team in Glendale.
The Glendale Star said a deal would have to be completed by June or the NHL would be forced to move the team. Several cities — including Quebec City, Las Vegas and Seattle — have reportedly expressed interest.
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Caring Crisis: Rising tide In Alzheimer’s disease leads to shortage of caregivers
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain