GLENDALE, Ariz. — The City of Glendale is reportedly exploring a 12-year deal for the city-owned Jobing.com Arena, home to the Phoenix Coyotes.
According to the Glendale Star, Glendale Councilmember Gary Sherwood said the city prefers the 12-year deal over the 20-year deal it originally agreed to with Greg Jamison.
“I think and the city thinks that 12 years is a more reasonable time table and a better pill to swallow,” Sherwood said. “There are negotiations going on behind the scenes and, no offense to (the press), but I think that is where they should be, behind closed doors.”
Sherwood said he is in favor of a deal to keep the Coyotes in Glendale because he does not see the surrounding Westgate area surviving without an anchor tenant.
“I am a hockey fan, but I am not working on this for hockey, but for the survival of Westgate Center.”
The city has been in contact with prospective buyer Greg Jamison, who missed a January deadline to purchase the team, along with a few others.
“There are the usual players that were here before, (Matthew Hulsizer and Anthony LeBlanc, Jerry Reinsdorf and Michael Reinsdorf) they are all involved and a factor.”
Despite the presence of numerous interested parties, Sherwood said a deal would have to get done soon to keep the team in Glendale.
The Glendale Star said a deal would have to be completed by June or the NHL would be forced to move the team. Several cities — including Quebec City, Las Vegas and Seattle — have reportedly expressed interest.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.