GLENDALE, Ariz. — The City of Glendale is reportedly exploring a 12-year deal for the city-owned Jobing.com Arena, home to the Phoenix Coyotes.
According to the Glendale Star, Glendale Councilmember Gary Sherwood said the city prefers the 12-year deal over the 20-year deal it originally agreed to with Greg Jamison.
“I think and the city thinks that 12 years is a more reasonable time table and a better pill to swallow,” Sherwood said. “There are negotiations going on behind the scenes and, no offense to (the press), but I think that is where they should be, behind closed doors.”
Sherwood said he is in favor of a deal to keep the Coyotes in Glendale because he does not see the surrounding Westgate area surviving without an anchor tenant.
“I am a hockey fan, but I am not working on this for hockey, but for the survival of Westgate Center.”
The city has been in contact with prospective buyer Greg Jamison, who missed a January deadline to purchase the team, along with a few others.
“There are the usual players that were here before, (Matthew Hulsizer and Anthony LeBlanc, Jerry Reinsdorf and Michael Reinsdorf) they are all involved and a factor.”
Despite the presence of numerous interested parties, Sherwood said a deal would have to get done soon to keep the team in Glendale.
The Glendale Star said a deal would have to be completed by June or the NHL would be forced to move the team. Several cities — including Quebec City, Las Vegas and Seattle — have reportedly expressed interest.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever