PHOENIX — Age catches up with everyone but with companies looking to trim costs and go leaner and meaner, and in many cases younger and cheaper, these are some of the most challenging times for an older job hunter.
Mike Hayes with Momentum Specialized Staffing in Phoenix said it’s an uphill battle for job applicants 50 and older but it is not impossible to land work.
“If you’re thinking you can’t get a job that’s incorrect. I think you’re not presenting yourself correctly,” he said.
Hayes said one of the biggest hangups for older job hunters is that they’re behind on the tech curve when it comes to computers, smart phones etc.
“For today’s jobs you have to be computer literate. Go talk to someone who knows these things and can give you a crash course on how to use the technology.”
Experts said updating clothing and hair styles will help keep employers from assuming, in some cases, that the applicants’ skills are also out of style.
Hayes said employers are doing themselves a disservice by ruling out older workers — there’s no substitute for experience.
“There are great people that you can find. That’s your (employers) job. To find the best people,” Hayes said.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food