PHOENIX — Age catches up with everyone but with companies looking to trim costs and go leaner and meaner, and in many cases younger and cheaper, these are some of the most challenging times for an older job hunter.
Mike Hayes with Momentum Specialized Staffing in Phoenix said it’s an uphill battle for job applicants 50 and older but it is not impossible to land work.
“If you’re thinking you can’t get a job that’s incorrect. I think you’re not presenting yourself correctly,” he said.
Hayes said one of the biggest hangups for older job hunters is that they’re behind on the tech curve when it comes to computers, smart phones etc.
“For today’s jobs you have to be computer literate. Go talk to someone who knows these things and can give you a crash course on how to use the technology.”
Experts said updating clothing and hair styles will help keep employers from assuming, in some cases, that the applicants’ skills are also out of style.
Hayes said employers are doing themselves a disservice by ruling out older workers — there’s no substitute for experience.
“There are great people that you can find. That’s your (employers) job. To find the best people,” Hayes said.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night