PHOENIX — Researchers at the Southwest Autism Research and Resource Center in Phoenix are working on technology that could speed up the diagnosis of autism.
Doctors agree that the earlier children are diagnosed and begin treatment, the better chance they have at reaching their full potential. The problem that many parents face, however, is finding someone who can diagnose their child.
“Since in Arizona there’s a handful of specialists that can diagnose autism, the waiting lists can be very long,” said Christopher J. Smith, SARRC vice president and research director.
While parents wait for a diagnosis, a child with autism is missing out on valuable treatment that could impact his or her future learning capabilities.
Using new technology to expedite the process, SARRC has partnered with Behavior Imaging Solutions and Georgia Tech to develop an online platform and app that will help parents connect with specialists.
“Professional will create the diagnosis of autism when possible,” Smith said. “The professionals may interact with you through the app. We may send you text messages or leave messages for you on the platform.”
SARRC said the new development could save about one year’s time in the diagnosis and preliminary treatment process.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.