PHOENIX — Researchers at the Southwest Autism Research and Resource Center in Phoenix are working on technology that could speed up the diagnosis of autism.
Doctors agree that the earlier children are diagnosed and begin treatment, the better chance they have at reaching their full potential. The problem that many parents face, however, is finding someone who can diagnose their child.
“Since in Arizona there’s a handful of specialists that can diagnose autism, the waiting lists can be very long,” said Christopher J. Smith, SARRC vice president and research director.
While parents wait for a diagnosis, a child with autism is missing out on valuable treatment that could impact his or her future learning capabilities.
Using new technology to expedite the process, SARRC has partnered with Behavior Imaging Solutions and Georgia Tech to develop an online platform and app that will help parents connect with specialists.
“Professional will create the diagnosis of autism when possible,” Smith said. “The professionals may interact with you through the app. We may send you text messages or leave messages for you on the platform.”
SARRC said the new development could save about one year’s time in the diagnosis and preliminary treatment process.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon