WASHINGTON (AP) – Former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords is urging key senators to support expanded background checks for gun purchases in a new television ad that is to begin airing Tuesday in Arizona and Iowa.
Americans for Responsible Solutions, the gun control group started by Giffords and husband Mark Kelly, said it is spending six figures on the ads in two states with strong gun traditions. The Senate Judiciary Committee is scheduled to take up tougher firearm regulations Thursday.
“There are solutions we can agree on, even gun owners like us,” Giffords says in the commercial over a closeup of her and Kelly looking directly into the camera. “Take it from me, Congress must act. Let’s get this done.”
The ad opens with black-and-white images from vigils after high-profile mass shootings at a Colorado movie theater, a Wisconsin temple, a Connecticut elementary school and the attempt on Giffords’ own life outside an Arizona grocery store, which also left 12 others wounded and six dead.
“We have a problem,” she says, “where we shop, where we pray, where our children go to school.”
The ad says the overwhelming majority of people in the respective states _ eight of 10 in Arizona and nearly nine of 10 in Iowa _ support universal background checks and urges viewers to contact their senators to ask them to support the measure as well. It targets two Republicans on the Judiciary Committee who have an A rating with the National Rifle Association _ the top Republican, Sen. Chuck Grassley of Iowa, and Sen. Jeff Flake of Arizona _ along with Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., who has indicated he’ll probably support background checks. It also mentions Iowa Democratic Sen. Tom Harkin, who supports expanded background checks.
Giffords also plans a news conference Wednesday in her hometown of Tucson, Ariz., with others who survived the shooting rampage two years ago at one of her constituent meetings.
Follow Nedra Pickler on Twitter:
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food