The City of Mesa formalized an agreement last week with the Oakland Athletics on a 20-year deal that will fill the void left at Hohokam Stadium by the departing Chicago Cubs.
“We are excited to renew our relationship with the Oakland A’s,” Mayor Scott Smith said in a release. “We look forward to them being a part of Mesa’s spring training family for decades to come.”
The deal goes into effect in February 2015.
As part of the deal, the A’s have two five-year extension options that could extend the deal to 30 years.
The City of Mesa also announced it is receiving an $8.2 million advance from the Arizona Sports and Tourism Authority to improve Hohokam Stadium ahead of the A’s arrival.
Prior to their move to Phoenix Municipal Stadium, the A’s took spring training in Mesa from 1969 to 1978 and were the first team to play at Hohokam Stadium.
The Cubs will depart Hohokam in 2013 for a new facility Mesa Riverview.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon