The City of Mesa formalized an agreement last week with the Oakland Athletics on a 20-year deal that will fill the void left at Hohokam Stadium by the departing Chicago Cubs.
“We are excited to renew our relationship with the Oakland A’s,” Mayor Scott Smith said in a release. “We look forward to them being a part of Mesa’s spring training family for decades to come.”
The deal goes into effect in February 2015.
As part of the deal, the A’s have two five-year extension options that could extend the deal to 30 years.
The City of Mesa also announced it is receiving an $8.2 million advance from the Arizona Sports and Tourism Authority to improve Hohokam Stadium ahead of the A’s arrival.
Prior to their move to Phoenix Municipal Stadium, the A’s took spring training in Mesa from 1969 to 1978 and were the first team to play at Hohokam Stadium.
The Cubs will depart Hohokam in 2013 for a new facility Mesa Riverview.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns