PHOENIX — During next Tuesday’s special election, Phoenix voters will decide whether to give Valley Metro security officers a little more power.
Currently, officers can check to see if riders paid the fare, but they are unable to issue tickets. Instead, they have to call Phoenix police.
However, if voters give light rail security the power to write tickets, Valley Metro’s Susan Tierney said, “it allows the Phoenix Police Department to focus on crimes that may be more significant.”
Tierney said less than 5 percent of riders cheat the system — roughly, a couple thousand every day.
In Tempe and Mesa, light rail security officers already have the authority to issue tickets. According to Valley Metro, Phoenix issued five fare evasion tickets in December compared to 16 in Tempe and Mesa. In November, Phoenix issued six tickets while Tempe and Mesa issued 27.
If Phoenix voters approve the change, security officers could begin issuing tickets not only for fare evaders, but also people who smoke on the train or jaywalk.
Fines range from $50 to $500, depending on how many times the person has been ticketed. Money would go the City of Phoenix.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns