PHOENIX — During next Tuesday’s special election, Phoenix voters will decide whether to give Valley Metro security officers a little more power.
Currently, officers can check to see if riders paid the fare, but they are unable to issue tickets. Instead, they have to call Phoenix police.
However, if voters give light rail security the power to write tickets, Valley Metro’s Susan Tierney said, “it allows the Phoenix Police Department to focus on crimes that may be more significant.”
Tierney said less than 5 percent of riders cheat the system — roughly, a couple thousand every day.
In Tempe and Mesa, light rail security officers already have the authority to issue tickets. According to Valley Metro, Phoenix issued five fare evasion tickets in December compared to 16 in Tempe and Mesa. In November, Phoenix issued six tickets while Tempe and Mesa issued 27.
If Phoenix voters approve the change, security officers could begin issuing tickets not only for fare evaders, but also people who smoke on the train or jaywalk.
Fines range from $50 to $500, depending on how many times the person has been ticketed. Money would go the City of Phoenix.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them