PHOENIX — A Phoenix boy is in critical condition after being pulled from a backyard pool Sunday.
Phoenix Fire captain Jonathan Jacobs said officials received a call about a three-year-old found unresponsive at his family’s home near 23rd Avenue and Union Hills.
“It’s frustrating and the reason that’s is so frustrating is because it’s preventable,” said Jacobs.
Jacobs said there were two adults and two teenagers home at the time. They had finished breakfast and apparently lost track of the boy.
“It doesn’t matter how much money you make or your education level or what side of town you live on,” said Jacobs. “If you don’t have the appropriate barriers in place and you’re not real vigilant about watching your child and you have a pool, you’re in a high-risk category.”
Jacobs said the home had no fence around the pool.
Last year, Phoenix firefighters responded to 69 drowning calls, including four children who died.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.