PHOENIX — A Phoenix boy is in critical condition after being pulled from a backyard pool Sunday.
Phoenix Fire captain Jonathan Jacobs said officials received a call about a three-year-old found unresponsive at his family’s home near 23rd Avenue and Union Hills.
“It’s frustrating and the reason that’s is so frustrating is because it’s preventable,” said Jacobs.
Jacobs said there were two adults and two teenagers home at the time. They had finished breakfast and apparently lost track of the boy.
“It doesn’t matter how much money you make or your education level or what side of town you live on,” said Jacobs. “If you don’t have the appropriate barriers in place and you’re not real vigilant about watching your child and you have a pool, you’re in a high-risk category.”
Jacobs said the home had no fence around the pool.
Last year, Phoenix firefighters responded to 69 drowning calls, including four children who died.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon