PHOENIX — The Grand Canyon National Park had almost 4.5 million visitors last year and those visitors won’t have to look hard to see the impact of the sequester.
Maureen Oltrogee with the National Park Service said visitors can expect to see closed trails and dirtier bathrooms and campgrounds.
“Obviously the busier the park gets and the less staff we have, the more chances of longer lines getting into the park.”
The canyon is getting into the busy season and, for now, won’t be able to hire up the extra seasonal help.
“We won’t have the extra staff that we need as we’re gearing up at the entrance stations,” said Oltrogee. “If we can’t open up all of the gates and stacking lanes, that could delay people getting into the park.”
Winter could add to the challenge. A major snowstorm could mean it will take longer to get the roads cleared.
A Michigan State University study said Grand Canyon visitors spent almost $500 million in 2011.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.