PHOENIX — The Arizona Department of Health Services kicked off National Colon Cancer Awareness Month on Friday with a special appearance by Nolan the Colon.
“It’s a disease that does not discriminate,” said Janell Hill with Colon Cancer Alliance, Central Arizona Chapter.
In 2004, Hill, the mother of three young children, was diagnosed with colorectal cancer at the age of 35.
“They myth is that it is an old man’s disease. That’s just not true.”
According to statistics from the Arizona Department of Health Services, colon cancer is the number two cancer killer right behind lung cancer. When smoking-related cancers are removed from the lung cancer statistics, colon cancer rises to the top.
One-in-20 Arizonans will be diagnosed with this disease and over 970 Arizonans die each year from colorectal cancer.
According to a release from the Colon Cancer Alliance:
Nolan the Colon is a giant inflatable, interactive mega-colon, standing more than at 20′ long, 12′ high, and 10′ wide that is deployed by the Arizona Chapter of the Colon Cancer Alliance to raise awareness about the importance of colorectal cancer screening. Inside Nolan there are multiple colorectal cancer messaging tools that give people a unique perspective as they walk through and actually see first-hand how a normal healthy colon can change over time into precancerous polyps that then become colorectal cancer.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon