PHOENIX — The Arizona Department of Health Services kicked off National Colon Cancer Awareness Month on Friday with a special appearance by Nolan the Colon.
“It’s a disease that does not discriminate,” said Janell Hill with Colon Cancer Alliance, Central Arizona Chapter.
In 2004, Hill, the mother of three young children, was diagnosed with colorectal cancer at the age of 35.
“They myth is that it is an old man’s disease. That’s just not true.”
According to statistics from the Arizona Department of Health Services, colon cancer is the number two cancer killer right behind lung cancer. When smoking-related cancers are removed from the lung cancer statistics, colon cancer rises to the top.
One-in-20 Arizonans will be diagnosed with this disease and over 970 Arizonans die each year from colorectal cancer.
According to a release from the Colon Cancer Alliance:
Nolan the Colon is a giant inflatable, interactive mega-colon, standing more than at 20′ long, 12′ high, and 10′ wide that is deployed by the Arizona Chapter of the Colon Cancer Alliance to raise awareness about the importance of colorectal cancer screening. Inside Nolan there are multiple colorectal cancer messaging tools that give people a unique perspective as they walk through and actually see first-hand how a normal healthy colon can change over time into precancerous polyps that then become colorectal cancer.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments