AVONDALE, Ariz. — As is the norm, thousands of NASCAR fans have formed an RV city near Phoenix International Raceway for this weekend’s Subway Fresh Fit 500 race.
Most of them think PIR is great, but some are complaining this year.
Jeannie Smith and her husband Alan drove their RV here from Vermont. It’s their first visit to the track, and the think the setup for RVs could be better.
“There’s no electricity, there’s no water,” said Jeanie. “You have to use your generator or rely on battery power in the unit itself. We’re doing a lot of cooking outside, and there’s no TV at night.”
The track also used to have a popular full service Basha’s supermarket inside of a tent, complete with meat, produce and everything you’d find in a regular store.
PIR spokeswoman Jennifer Jepson said the track “decided to go a different route,” and Basha’s pulled its store out. PIR has replaced it with the Zoomtown Market, which has things like beer and soft drinks but it’s nothing like the inventory that the Bashas had.
Linda Murphy of Ottawa, Ontario, who has been to PIR before, said the lack of a full grocery store is a big concern.
“I wish the Basha’s would come back because I would have like to come back to buy some fresh meat and deli meat, and stuff like that,” she said. “I would have preferred the Basha’s. The Zoomtown market is okay, but if you forgot meat, you’re in trouble.”
Others said the prices are “twice as high” at the Zoomtown market. They’re also noticing there are fewer RVers here than they’ve seen at past NASCAR races.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food