WASHINGTON (AP) – The Army chief of staff said Friday that the protracted fight over the budget is having a severe impact on Army training.
Gen. Ray Odierno said the Army is experiencing an $18 billion shortfall, saying that finding the necessary money isn’t as easy as critics suggest.
“The money is fenced in” as part of a stopgap spending bill, he said.
“What I’m trying to tell people is that we are not training for the rest of the year, except those in Afghanistan,” Odierno added.
The general appeared on “CBS This Morning” ahead of a meeting at the White House Friday between President Barack Obama and the Democratic and Republican congressional leadership.
Odierno said the Pentagon needs a set budget _ not the so-called “continuing resolution”_ to “protect our soldiers.”
“The cuts are disproportionately enacted on defense,” Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., said on CBS. “What we are doing to the men and the women in the military is unconscionable,” he said. “They volunteered to serve. They don’t even know where they’re going to be next week.”
“We should not have waited” until the cuts were about to take effect to call people together to the White House, McCain said.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier