WASHINGTON (AP) – The Army chief of staff said Friday that the protracted fight over the budget is having a severe impact on Army training.
Gen. Ray Odierno said the Army is experiencing an $18 billion shortfall, saying that finding the necessary money isn’t as easy as critics suggest.
“The money is fenced in” as part of a stopgap spending bill, he said.
“What I’m trying to tell people is that we are not training for the rest of the year, except those in Afghanistan,” Odierno added.
The general appeared on “CBS This Morning” ahead of a meeting at the White House Friday between President Barack Obama and the Democratic and Republican congressional leadership.
Odierno said the Pentagon needs a set budget _ not the so-called “continuing resolution”_ to “protect our soldiers.”
“The cuts are disproportionately enacted on defense,” Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., said on CBS. “What we are doing to the men and the women in the military is unconscionable,” he said. “They volunteered to serve. They don’t even know where they’re going to be next week.”
“We should not have waited” until the cuts were about to take effect to call people together to the White House, McCain said.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon