PHOENIX — A meaty donation helped ease the stress Thursday of those who are committed to feeding the Valley’s hungry.
As part of the Race to End Hunger, Farmland Foods and Richard Petty Motorsports driver Aric Almirola presented St. Mary’s Food Bank with a $20,000 check and nearly 43 cases of meat. Almirola drives car number 43.
The donation equals approximately 150,000 meals used to feed the Valley’s homeless population.
“Rolling into March, we’ve gone through a lot of the food that folks donated through the holiday season, so this donation could not come at a better time,” said Jerry Brown, director of media relations for the food bank.
The generous donation doesn’t change that fact that St. Mary’s can still use all the help it can get. According to Brown, 1 in 5 Arizonans and 1 in 4 of the state’s children don’t know where their next is coming from.
The food bank is looking for food and/or cash donations, along with volunteers who can help pack boxes.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes