PHOENIX — A meaty donation helped ease the stress Thursday of those who are committed to feeding the Valley’s hungry.
As part of the Race to End Hunger, Farmland Foods and Richard Petty Motorsports driver Aric Almirola presented St. Mary’s Food Bank with a $20,000 check and nearly 43 cases of meat. Almirola drives car number 43.
The donation equals approximately 150,000 meals used to feed the Valley’s homeless population.
“Rolling into March, we’ve gone through a lot of the food that folks donated through the holiday season, so this donation could not come at a better time,” said Jerry Brown, director of media relations for the food bank.
The generous donation doesn’t change that fact that St. Mary’s can still use all the help it can get. According to Brown, 1 in 5 Arizonans and 1 in 4 of the state’s children don’t know where their next is coming from.
The food bank is looking for food and/or cash donations, along with volunteers who can help pack boxes.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.