CHANDLER, Ariz. — Gun buy backs historically don’t work, said Dale Roddy with Desert Valley Firearms in Chandler.
Gun prices have jumped based on fears of tighter gun control following the Connecticut school shooting in December. Roddy said the responsible gun owners will sell firearms to a gun store instead of practically giving them away.
“They’re not going to turn firearms in for a couple of movie tickets or whatever they’re offering.”
During his second State of the City speech Thursday, Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton vowed to stage
what he called the largest gun buyback in Arizona history and double the number
of police officers in schools citywide.
Stanton said “violence has no place in our city.”
He said the buyback program allows residents to drop off unwanted weapons with
no questions asked, every Saturday during the month of May.
The effort is being funded with $100,000 from the non-profit Arizonans for Gun
Safety, which received the money from an anonymous donor.
However, Roddy said buybacks don’t do much more than creating a spur-of-the-moment gun show.
“People show up to buy the guns and it’s perfectly legal for a private individual to buy and sell guns,” he said. “There was a gun show in Seattle last month where collectors showed up with a bunch of money and bought up the guns. The cops didn’t end up with any of the guns in their hands.”
KTAR’s Sandra Haros and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier