CHANDLER, Ariz. — Gun buy backs historically don’t work, said Dale Roddy with Desert Valley Firearms in Chandler.
Gun prices have jumped based on fears of tighter gun control following the Connecticut school shooting in December. Roddy said the responsible gun owners will sell firearms to a gun store instead of practically giving them away.
“They’re not going to turn firearms in for a couple of movie tickets or whatever they’re offering.”
During his second State of the City speech Thursday, Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton vowed to stage
what he called the largest gun buyback in Arizona history and double the number
of police officers in schools citywide.
Stanton said “violence has no place in our city.”
He said the buyback program allows residents to drop off unwanted weapons with
no questions asked, every Saturday during the month of May.
The effort is being funded with $100,000 from the non-profit Arizonans for Gun
Safety, which received the money from an anonymous donor.
However, Roddy said buybacks don’t do much more than creating a spur-of-the-moment gun show.
“People show up to buy the guns and it’s perfectly legal for a private individual to buy and sell guns,” he said. “There was a gun show in Seattle last month where collectors showed up with a bunch of money and bought up the guns. The cops didn’t end up with any of the guns in their hands.”
KTAR’s Sandra Haros and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them