The role of the good Samaritan has apparently not lost its appeal.
According to NBC News, Patricia Wesner stopped on Route 22 near Salem, N.Y., after realizing $11,000 in cash had been coming out of the Brinks armored truck ahead of her Toyota Sequoia.
After arriving on-scene, police calculated that 12 packages of pennies, two containers of nickels, two cases of dimes, six boxes of quarters and 70 bags of $1 bills fell out of the truck. Authorities noted that the truck door likely malfunctioned while on the jarring highway.
NBC station WNYT reported that Wesner, a 22-year executive director of the nonprofit Pember Library and Museum in Granville, said the peculiar circumstances had no impact in her decision to guard the money until investigators arrived.
“It’s stealing if you take something that’s not yours and I never even thought, you know I picked up a lot of bills that were on the ground and never even thought that I would put anything in my pocket. It didn’t belong to me,” said Wesner.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.