PHOENIX — Juan Martinez, the prosecutor in the Jodi Arias trial, may be too belligerent in his questioning of the suspected murderer.
According to ABC News, a legal expert said that the prosecutor’s antagonistic behavior will not bring the jury any closer to a guilty verdict.
“Martinez is his own worst enemy,” Mel McDonald, a prominent Phoenix defense attorney and former judge, told ABC News. “He takes it to the point where it’s ad nauseam. You have difficulty recognizing when he’s driving the point home because he’s always angry and pushy and pacing around the courtroom. He loses the effectiveness, rather than build it up.”
McDonald added that Martinez’s courtroom conduct resembled that of a violent animal moving in for the kill, which may be detracting from the prosecution’s overall case.
“He’s like a rabid dog and believes you’ve got to go to everybody’s throat,” he said.
Expert witness Steven Pitt, a forensic psychiatrist, explained that Martinez’s forceful tactics may be exactly what he needs to convict Arias.
“When it comes to cross examination, one size does not fit all,” said Pitt. “But if you set aside the incessant sparring, what the prosecutor I believe is effectively doing is pointing out the various inconsistencies in the defendant’s version of events.”
Arias has been accused of murdering her 27-year-old boyfriend, Travis Alexander, in June 2008 after killing him in his shower in Mesa, Ariz. Arias could face the death penalty despite claiming it was self-defense.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets