PHOENIX — Juan Martinez, the prosecutor in the Jodi Arias trial, may be too belligerent in his questioning of the suspected murderer.
According to ABC News, a legal expert said that the prosecutor’s antagonistic behavior will not bring the jury any closer to a guilty verdict.
“Martinez is his own worst enemy,” Mel McDonald, a prominent Phoenix defense attorney and former judge, told ABC News. “He takes it to the point where it’s ad nauseam. You have difficulty recognizing when he’s driving the point home because he’s always angry and pushy and pacing around the courtroom. He loses the effectiveness, rather than build it up.”
McDonald added that Martinez’s courtroom conduct resembled that of a violent animal moving in for the kill, which may be detracting from the prosecution’s overall case.
“He’s like a rabid dog and believes you’ve got to go to everybody’s throat,” he said.
Expert witness Steven Pitt, a forensic psychiatrist, explained that Martinez’s forceful tactics may be exactly what he needs to convict Arias.
“When it comes to cross examination, one size does not fit all,” said Pitt. “But if you set aside the incessant sparring, what the prosecutor I believe is effectively doing is pointing out the various inconsistencies in the defendant’s version of events.”
Arias has been accused of murdering her 27-year-old boyfriend, Travis Alexander, in June 2008 after killing him in his shower in Mesa, Ariz. Arias could face the death penalty despite claiming it was self-defense.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier