PHOENIX — A prominent Arizona doctor is speaking out in favor of medical marijuana.
Dr. Richard Strand, with the Arizona Wellness Chamber of Commerce, said medical marijuana can help many people, especially those with cancer.
“It can help with appetite stimulation, anxiety reduction, improve in sleep; there are all sorts of good medical reasons,” he said. “When people come out and say that there aren’t, they’re just not telling the truth.”
Arizona voters approved medical marijuana in 2010, but a bill that would put it back on the ballot in 2014 is making its way through the Arizona Legislature.
The bill is sponsored by State Rep. John Kavanaugh. The Arizona Wellness Chamber of Commerce is calling on Kavanaugh and others to stop making what it said are false statements about medical marijuana.
“Some of the words from Rep. Kavanaugh and the group ‘Keep Arizona Drug Free’ state that 95 percent of the program is recreational, that it’s not medical and that there are no good medical reasons for medical marijuana,” said Strand. “I think that these statements are all patently false.”
The chamber believes that medical professionals, not legislators and law enforcement, should be making decisions about the appropriate use of medical marijuana and those decisions should be based on science and appropriate regulation instead of someone’s political agenda.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments