PHOENIX — The Maricopa County jail system may start charging inmates a daily fee for meals.
According to ABC15, Sheriff Joe Arpaio said that the estimated 8,300 inmates in county tents and jails will be charged $1 every day for meal costs by the beginning of March. Arpaio explained that this increase in meal prices has been a result of decreased donations. Meals previously cost inmates 60 cents per day.
“The food banks are hurting, they’re not getting donations and we are not getting the donations we used to,” said Arpaio. “A dollar a day isn’t that much, I mean that’s what it costs to feed the inmates now.”
Arpaio added that jail accounts would be an alternative solution to the system’s financial concerns. By putting these accounts into place, inmates who receive money from family and friends would be charged for their day-to-day meal expense.
“We’re going to make sure we use that money before they [inmates] go to the canteen to buy some chocolate bars,” Arpaio explained.
Arpaio noted that inmates unable to pay the fee will still be provided meals.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development