PHOENIX — Forget casual Fridays — Thursday is the day to wear “genes” to work in honor of World Rare Disorders Day.
In the Valley, scientists at TGen showed up to work wearing their jeans, “In recognition of the fact that an estimated 80 percent of rare disorders are caused by mutations in our genes,” said Dr. Matt Huentelman with the Center for Rare Childhood Disorders.
He said Phoenix-based TGen has made strides over the past decade in helping doctors approach puzzling cases.
“Because we’re able to look across the genome and we can examine all the different biochemical pathways that physician would order tests for, but we can do it all at once.”
This year, Huentelman said doctors are focusing on sequencing the genome — the blueprint of each patient’s rare disorder — sooner rather than later. By doing so, he said, it will help the patients and their families find solutions faster, and it will significantly cut costs of managing rare diseases.
Ten years from now, Huentelman imagines every newborn will have a complete genome sequence ID, which will allow doctors to personalize their medical needs before a rare disease becomes a threat down the road.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier