PHOENIX — A fiery, fatal accident involving a big rig forced Interstate 10 at the Broadway Road curve to be closed in both directions early Thursday.
By 10 a.m. three lanes were re-opened in each direction.
The truck driver, who was heading east on the freeway, died. Witnesses said the truck hit the median, followed by an explosion around 5 a.m.
Other vehicles were caught in the wake, and several people suffered minor injuries, according to the Department of Public Safety.
Drivers in both directions of I-10 had been forced to exit at State Route 143, although some westbound cars were able to stay on the I-10.
The closure also affected U.S. 60 westbound in the East Valley.
Cause of the accident is as yet unknown.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets