PHOENIX — A fiery, fatal accident involving a big rig forced Interstate 10 at the Broadway Road curve to be closed in both directions early Thursday.
By 10 a.m. three lanes were re-opened in each direction.
The truck driver, who was heading east on the freeway, died. Witnesses said the truck hit the median, followed by an explosion around 5 a.m.
Other vehicles were caught in the wake, and several people suffered minor injuries, according to the Department of Public Safety.
Drivers in both directions of I-10 had been forced to exit at State Route 143, although some westbound cars were able to stay on the I-10.
The closure also affected U.S. 60 westbound in the East Valley.
Cause of the accident is as yet unknown.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain