PHOENIX — A memorial service was held Wednesday to honor unclaimed urns containing the remains of 28 veterans.
Some remains went unclaimed for as long as 58 years.
“It allows us to fulfill the promise we all make to one another in the service and that is to never leave a fallen comrade,” said Army Reserve Lt. Col. Brian Haver. “We get to take those fallen comrades and give them proper military honors.”
The fallen men and women were from all branches of service and they included veterans from both world wars and the Korean War.
“What was especially touching is that we had two couples, two sets of husbands and wives, that were buried today,” said Haver.
After the service at a Phoenix mortuary, the remains were ultimately laid to rest at the National Memorial Cemetary.
The event was organized by the Missing in America Project.
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees