PHOENIX — A memorial service was held Wednesday to honor unclaimed urns containing the remains of 28 veterans.
Some remains went unclaimed for as long as 58 years.
“It allows us to fulfill the promise we all make to one another in the service and that is to never leave a fallen comrade,” said Army Reserve Lt. Col. Brian Haver. “We get to take those fallen comrades and give them proper military honors.”
The fallen men and women were from all branches of service and they included veterans from both world wars and the Korean War.
“What was especially touching is that we had two couples, two sets of husbands and wives, that were buried today,” said Haver.
After the service at a Phoenix mortuary, the remains were ultimately laid to rest at the National Memorial Cemetary.
The event was organized by the Missing in America Project.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night