PHOENIX — A memorial service was held Wednesday to honor unclaimed urns containing the remains of 28 veterans.
Some remains went unclaimed for as long as 58 years.
“It allows us to fulfill the promise we all make to one another in the service and that is to never leave a fallen comrade,” said Army Reserve Lt. Col. Brian Haver. “We get to take those fallen comrades and give them proper military honors.”
The fallen men and women were from all branches of service and they included veterans from both world wars and the Korean War.
“What was especially touching is that we had two couples, two sets of husbands and wives, that were buried today,” said Haver.
After the service at a Phoenix mortuary, the remains were ultimately laid to rest at the National Memorial Cemetary.
The event was organized by the Missing in America Project.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development