PHOENIX — A memorial service was held Wednesday to honor unclaimed urns containing the remains of 28 veterans.
Some remains went unclaimed for as long as 58 years.
“It allows us to fulfill the promise we all make to one another in the service and that is to never leave a fallen comrade,” said Army Reserve Lt. Col. Brian Haver. “We get to take those fallen comrades and give them proper military honors.”
The fallen men and women were from all branches of service and they included veterans from both world wars and the Korean War.
“What was especially touching is that we had two couples, two sets of husbands and wives, that were buried today,” said Haver.
After the service at a Phoenix mortuary, the remains were ultimately laid to rest at the National Memorial Cemetary.
The event was organized by the Missing in America Project.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick