PHOENIX — The clock is winding down as the $85 billion package of federal spending cuts moves closer to automatically kicking in.
KTAR’S political analyst Mike O’Neil said the cuts, known as a sequester, were not designed to cut spending and, at this stage, the Republicans and President Barack Obama are not likely to give an inch.
“[The sequester] was designed to put a gun to everybody’s head and make them act.”
The government has been trying to avoid the sequester for 18 months and O’Neil said Americans are tired of the Congressional Crisis of the Month routine.
Mesa Republican Mayor Scott Smith, whose name is being mentioned as a possible candidate in the Arizona governor race next year, said the sequester will be the shock it takes to get Congress to do its job.
“If we go through the sequester, I’m hoping the public outrage is such that we finally have an influence over the Washington, D.C. machine,” he said.
Arizona House Minority Leader Chad Campbell, who has also expressed interest in running for governor in 2014, said he is not optimistic that Congress and the White House will able to stop the sequestration. Campbell is very worried about the impact on Arizona’s economy.
“The last thing Arizona needs is a hit to jobs. I wish the people in D.C. could get their act together and find common ground.”
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl