PHOENIX — The clock is winding down as the $85 billion package of federal spending cuts moves closer to automatically kicking in.
KTAR’S political analyst Mike O’Neil said the cuts, known as a sequester, were not designed to cut spending and, at this stage, the Republicans and President Barack Obama are not likely to give an inch.
“[The sequester] was designed to put a gun to everybody’s head and make them act.”
The government has been trying to avoid the sequester for 18 months and O’Neil said Americans are tired of the Congressional Crisis of the Month routine.
Mesa Republican Mayor Scott Smith, whose name is being mentioned as a possible candidate in the Arizona governor race next year, said the sequester will be the shock it takes to get Congress to do its job.
“If we go through the sequester, I’m hoping the public outrage is such that we finally have an influence over the Washington, D.C. machine,” he said.
Arizona House Minority Leader Chad Campbell, who has also expressed interest in running for governor in 2014, said he is not optimistic that Congress and the White House will able to stop the sequestration. Campbell is very worried about the impact on Arizona’s economy.
“The last thing Arizona needs is a hit to jobs. I wish the people in D.C. could get their act together and find common ground.”
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets