The amount of crime along the border between the United States and Mexico fell between 2004 and 2011, a report from the U.S. Government Office of Accountability said.
In total, all border states saw crime fall off at an average of 27 percent over the seven-year span covered in the report.
In Arizona, violent crime in border counties fell 33 percent, more than any neighboring state. However, violent crime in Arizona remained higher in border counties than in non-border counties, with a 22 percent decrease in non-border counties.
Violent crime — specifically aggravated assault — rose in Pinal County by 22 percent from 2010 to 2011.
The report did note that crime may be going underreported, as some crimes may be committed by or against members of drug cartels.
Several politicians have said the upcoming sequester could cause the border to erupt in crime as funding for officers and materials is cut.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes