The amount of crime along the border between the United States and Mexico fell between 2004 and 2011, a report from the U.S. Government Office of Accountability said.
In total, all border states saw crime fall off at an average of 27 percent over the seven-year span covered in the report.
In Arizona, violent crime in border counties fell 33 percent, more than any neighboring state. However, violent crime in Arizona remained higher in border counties than in non-border counties, with a 22 percent decrease in non-border counties.
Violent crime — specifically aggravated assault — rose in Pinal County by 22 percent from 2010 to 2011.
The report did note that crime may be going underreported, as some crimes may be committed by or against members of drug cartels.
Several politicians have said the upcoming sequester could cause the border to erupt in crime as funding for officers and materials is cut.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier