The amount of crime along the border between the United States and Mexico fell between 2004 and 2011, a report from the U.S. Government Office of Accountability said.
In total, all border states saw crime fall off at an average of 27 percent over the seven-year span covered in the report.
In Arizona, violent crime in border counties fell 33 percent, more than any neighboring state. However, violent crime in Arizona remained higher in border counties than in non-border counties, with a 22 percent decrease in non-border counties.
Violent crime — specifically aggravated assault — rose in Pinal County by 22 percent from 2010 to 2011.
The report did note that crime may be going underreported, as some crimes may be committed by or against members of drug cartels.
Several politicians have said the upcoming sequester could cause the border to erupt in crime as funding for officers and materials is cut.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy