The amount of crime along the border between the United States and Mexico fell between 2004 and 2011, a report from the U.S. Government Office of Accountability said.
In total, all border states saw crime fall off at an average of 27 percent over the seven-year span covered in the report.
In Arizona, violent crime in border counties fell 33 percent, more than any neighboring state. However, violent crime in Arizona remained higher in border counties than in non-border counties, with a 22 percent decrease in non-border counties.
Violent crime — specifically aggravated assault — rose in Pinal County by 22 percent from 2010 to 2011.
The report did note that crime may be going underreported, as some crimes may be committed by or against members of drug cartels.
Several politicians have said the upcoming sequester could cause the border to erupt in crime as funding for officers and materials is cut.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development