PHOENIX — The future is now for dozens of people
who gathered at the State Capitol Wednesday to protest toll roads, of which there are none in Arizona.
But the protesters believe they’re coming.
Al Tracy said he believed Arizonans will be paying to drive on some freeways within the next year.
“We dodged the bullet last year when (Arizona Department of Transportation) was considering turning a 30-mile stretch of Interstate 15 in northwestern Arizona into a toll road,” the protester said.
Lori Brewer also believes tolls on the roads are in the future.
“It’s double taxation and we already pay fuel taxes. Once the first toll road happens it opens the doors to multiple toll roads. Just like they have in California and Texas,” she said.
ADOT issued the following statement:
“Given the funding gap between the need for future transportation options and the reality of insufficient funds to pay for them, the state has established a program allowing for the exploration of public-private partnerships, which include toll roads. But no toll road proposals are on the map at this time.
“ADOT adds that current gasoline taxes haven’t changed since 1992 and don’t provide the same level of funding that they once did to support highway maintenance and construction.”
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them