PHOENIX — The future is now for dozens of people
who gathered at the State Capitol Wednesday to protest toll roads, of which there are none in Arizona.
But the protesters believe they’re coming.
Al Tracy said he believed Arizonans will be paying to drive on some freeways within the next year.
“We dodged the bullet last year when (Arizona Department of Transportation) was considering turning a 30-mile stretch of Interstate 15 in northwestern Arizona into a toll road,” the protester said.
Lori Brewer also believes tolls on the roads are in the future.
“It’s double taxation and we already pay fuel taxes. Once the first toll road happens it opens the doors to multiple toll roads. Just like they have in California and Texas,” she said.
ADOT issued the following statement:
“Given the funding gap between the need for future transportation options and the reality of insufficient funds to pay for them, the state has established a program allowing for the exploration of public-private partnerships, which include toll roads. But no toll road proposals are on the map at this time.
“ADOT adds that current gasoline taxes haven’t changed since 1992 and don’t provide the same level of funding that they once did to support highway maintenance and construction.”
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development