PHOENIX — New research shows that more graduates with two-year degrees out-earn their peers who have bachelor’s degrees.
Georgetown University’s Center of Education found nearly 30 percent of Americans with associate’s degrees make more than those who have four-year degrees.
At Scottsdale Community College, for example, many graduates with information technology degrees start their careers making $50,000 or more. That’s 15 percent higher than the average starting salary for all graduates.
“Some of our big employers like Avnet like to come to the school, talk to our students and get them interested in positions,” said Ronald Monroig, a teacher in Scottsdale CC’s computer-information system program.
“The employers like to see them with certifications and once they got those certifications I can put them in front of most employers here in the Valley.”
Monroig said it doesn’t take long to become certified for IT jobs. Most students accomplish their certification in one semester.
“That’s really the key. It’s a quick turn, and for people who are out of work or looking for a new career can turn it around in one semester,” Monroig said.
The increase in wages has to do with the demand for those with specialized skills, such as lab technicians or computer engineers.
“For a while there, getting a degree in business guaranteed excellent job prospects and really high entering salaries,” said Gia Taylor, Scottsdale CC’s dean of enrollment. “That’s just not the case anymore because the market is flooded with those people.”
The Georgetown center estimates that 29 million jobs paying middle-class wages today require only an associate’s degree.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America